Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lego Helicopter


"That's the wrong piece, Grandma."
"No. You put that in the wrong place."
My six-year-old is the expert.
I try to follow his advice
amazed that though he just learned to read
he has followed through
the book, piece by piece and has put
the helicopter together.
He checks how many he needs.
He counts the bumps to make sure
he is right. I just want to
throw it in...wrong!
I am impatient.
He patiently does the necessary work
and puts them in the correct spot.
Figures and numbers he knows.
He works hours beyond what I
think a six-year-old should
or even can.
I am impressed.
The work goes well.
Finished, the toy works.

3 comments:

  1. That kid has got cute dimples, and I think he is showing talent. I predict he will be a hell of a worker, an engineer, something good and you have certainly done your grandmotherly duty by being his inept helper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that lego stuff is interesting. The few sets Geoff had were eventually thrown away because he didn't enjoy them and I hated that the pieces were everywhere. Colby is very different and will spend hours putting together legos with the same skill you describe with Drew. Kids are interesting and yes the dimples are so representative of your kids and grandkids. Sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this helicopter Drew made. I didn't know he was so smart. I know he and Jed would have a great time together. Jed just got legos for his birthday and he made several things in a flash.

    ReplyDelete