Thursday, August 20, 2009

Kanyonland King

Least I forget my name...
not Mountain Woman...
let me show you Long Canyon
found in the Circle Cliffs
going north of The Gulch
where I ran the Wild Steer.

My sisters and I hiked
sandrock ledges
found caves and
climbed into canyons.
We escaped flash floods
and rolled rocks off peaks
expored Indian artifacts by
finding arrowheads and
stone knives along narrow
trails.

Today, I still love to
escape into the canyons
looking for gold hidden
by outlaws or Aztecs,
discovering another deep
gorge or hidden wonder in
wild flowers or strange shapes,
feeling the wind seeking
my spirit, or the rain
washing it clean,
always amazed at our
passing on this land.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this new gorgeous photo and your poem on your blog after Linda left. I finished my blog entry and attached a P.S. to send people to see this magnificent photo. Doesn't it come across great as a header? You have to click on my other photos now to get the full size, so I love header photos, and the poem just fits. I had a good time with Linda as you will read. She thinks now she will have to drive back alone as she wants to get there before Monday. She read the blogs but didn't comment.

    ReplyDelete