Friday, May 21, 2010

Linda Survived Charles Bukowski

My sister Linda, the woman warrior,
survived Charles Bukowski
as he did her, barely I think.
I am glad she she is 71 and still around,
that she loved Jerry and
had a child named Scott,
that she laughed and loved
jokester Leo...and is still writing
poetry, sculpturing and making movie scripts.
Still vibrately alive!
Her script of knowing, loving,
and living with Bukowski is
as accurate as she could write
full of love and passion and finally,
the very clear need for her to move on.
Bukowski's drinking is legendary.
Violence lay beneath passion.
but his talent is above it all.
His poetry will live, and live
and LIVE.
He touches the heart.
She touches the heart.
Linda is still with us, her
talent will shower us all
as her painting, sculpture,
writing creations grow.
I think she found the truth
of herself and Bukowski
in this script.
He and She are themselves
in vibrant color!
They lived poetry.
Linda escaped Bukowski
to laugh once more.
To be known a poet
in her own right.
Linda the psychic,
the comic, the painter,
the sculptress, the poet
and writer of movie
scripts. I love it!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of these comments. Writing this script was like living through the drama all over again. I hope we have some luck with it, even though I realized that we, Bukowski and I, had too many fights. I was raised in a war zone, so I guess I just fell into it head on. We had many fun and funny fights too. I am ready to live a much mellower life now. Even though I have no faith that I will be attracted to the gentle type. Writing about the past sometimes brings you down as you feel like, perhaps, you could have done it a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your script is already making an impact on Ann and me so that is a beginning! I am sure we could both appreciate the writing and the work it took to remember those fights and try to get them down right. I thought there was a lot of beauty in the language. And humor. And in the emotions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did I. I think you did get the fights and the attitudes down right. Wonderful poetry!
    Scott was right to make you hang in there and get it done. He persevered! I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete