Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Marion's Book

My cousin Marion has completed
her personal history.
It is full of pleasant childhood
memories of family and fun
and pictures galore,
a special family keepsake.
Her kids will love it.

I wonder why I remember more
not so fun stuff that happened.
It is clear she decided against
talking about the drinking,
fights, or problems,
She remembers special moments.

I take my hat off for the
writing she did. I know
she found it difficult
to write and struggled with
it since she lost her soulmate
to cancer, needing to tell
their love story.
She is proud of the effort
and I am proud of her!
Bravo, Marion!

The picture was painted by Sister LaRae.
Marion wanted it on the cover.
Interesting choice.

1 comment:

  1. Writing any memoir from whatever angle is a chore. I got the idea that Reed did most of his heavy drinking before he married Thirza. I remember Daddy calling up Reed to come and party with him which Aunt Thirza would veto promptly since alcohol did not do a lot of his condition. Once Daddy got him to come home with him to party and Uncle Reed stayed a night and then he got very worried about Aunt Thirza and they were calling back and forth and finally he told Daddy he had to take him home that day. He was so funny I hated to see him go and Daddy acted like he enjoyed having him to 'party with' so much. I thought Aunt Thirza was lucky to get him to give it up so easy, so maybe Marion never saw a lot of drunken scenes or ones she could actually see as that. I thought Lynne seemed quite normal for a long time, always went to work, etc, so I was quite surprised when Max filled us in on details of his drinking and inappropriate behavior with her and her friends. He did not seem to bother Marion that way and she may not have seen the worst. I know she did not have to see any drunken behavior in her marriage to Tom.

    ReplyDelete