Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Macular Hole

A macular hole is a tear
in the retina of the eye
as you can see in the photo.
The eye is
filled with a gel-like substance
called vitreous that shrinks
and pulls away with age.
Some cases it adheres
unable to pull away,
the tissue stretches and tears
making a macular hole.

I find a picture of this hole
fascinating in it's color and
form...in the complex
working parts of the eye.
Marveling that
our vision provides
such diversity in colors,
shapes, and texture
within a single eyeball.

To repair the tear
the gas bubble
pushes against the tear
to replace and restore
eyesight once more.

The healing of the
eye only matches the
marvel of medicine.

3 comments:

  1. I went for eye glasses and they showed me pictures of the blood vessels in my eyes and how healthy they were inside of 20 minutes. I was amazed. Best eyes exam I ever had at Len
    Crafters with all new state equiptment.
    I hope this works for Tom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this scarey but interesting, like Pierre's scans of his cancer sites. Whooh. When you know this is the eye, you know that tear is not good. I hope it is mended next time they take a photo. That will be a modern miracle of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, this was a great post Ann. I have been very puzzled by the gas bubble treatment. Now it makes more sense. Great to see the picture. Eyes are a fascinating part of our body, which we often take for granted. That is until something goes wrong. That strikes fear to the heart. Everything I love to do requires good eyesight. I guess this is true of everyone. Surely hope Tom's turns out perfectly. It sounds like it is coming along well.

    ReplyDelete