Monday, October 26, 2009

POET? ME?

I read Dave's book and images curled from sandrock and floated to the tops of canyons. Metaphors hung from cracks. I so enjoyed those slick-rock slopes and red
drifts of Indian Lore. I re-read my own and couldn't snag a single, standout, upright metaphor! What's worse, I didn't want to add any. I didn't even care!
Let's face it. I'm not a born poet...
Linda called and told me about dreaming that her elephant was out in the ocean filling his truck straight out full of salt water..and what did that mean? That girl dreams in metaphors. Her elephants are always trumping and tromping up and down her dreams and she is there saying..What does it mean? What are they trying to say? If it's not elephants, it's swans or deer or long-necked giraffes or some other damn metaphor. Linda is the dreaming poet. What else can she write?? Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not stopping my poetry. If I want to write a damn poem, I will...rhymned or not. Metaphor or not.
I just want you to know that I'm writing prose sometimes just to explain why I'm not a poet, if for no other reason. Like now. All these good poets just suddenly got on my nerves. So I was born with no TALENT! What the hell. They put me out in a field to water. That's just water on thirsty plants. No metaphor about that. I will continue to write just exactly what I want to in spite of the world's great poets.

2 comments:

  1. Doc said I can relate to that, but then he annoys people with his paintings, abstract?? What do they mean? I fled the poets not feeling I could defend my poems. I belong in dialogue, so you can go ahead and write your posts in poetry, and I will take them! Born poet or not. You are just as good student and will write the assignment and let if influence you to write our blog in poetry. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not proof read that comment and it shows, but you know what I mean. Just another comment to let you know I read it too late. A good writer proof reads before hand.

    ReplyDelete