Monday, October 11, 2010

Walking in Sand

Out of Cliffnotes I came up with a new title for my book and a new picture for the front. Walking in Sand - my guide to the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. This is the picture...me on the rocks of Boulder.
I also wrote a poem or two...this one is about a place Boulder, Utah...described as if no one had been there.


Even if you live in Boulder, Utah
you don't know anything about it.
You haven't heard Clyde cursing about
lost water or lost calves.
You didn't walk barefoot down a dirt road
to climb Thompson Ledge.
Anselm had never heard of or found the money cave
just a few feet lower on his Thompson Ledge.
You didn't talk to Irene at King's Store
or buy cans of food, Levis, grain, horse shoes,
bullets, salve for dehorning steers, candy
or sit drinking a coke in her arrowhead covered
table.
You didn't walk up to the old school,
this very building, and be taught by
Rose Peterson or Aunt Nethella or
climb the School House Ledge at noon
to see where Darrell Moosman fell.
You didn't clmb that cut-down Cottonwood
to escape being touched by Strycnine or
Dynamite.
You didn't ride Bender or Old Buttons
after herds of cows.
Boulder had those Bulberries to pick for jam.
You didn't tear apart milkweed or
walk down the board walk over mint to
the outhouse at Grandma King's.
You didn't go with J.C. fishing in streams
swimming in deep spots to let the fish
slip into your hands.
Or go to the Boulder Rodeo
right outside this window
where bulls bucked by your honking car
on down the road.
No, you haven't been to Boulder, Utah.

5 comments:

  1. Loved this photo so much and the poem. You are getting there with this book. Title might work even better. So will be looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new title and this is my favorite picture for the book. I also like this poem a lot. I enjoyed having you at the writing workshop, you always add so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woops that comment is me, Cheryl, not Raymond. He must have been using my computer while tending my dogs yesterday. Oh I could do some very interesting things as Raymond...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the poem a lot, and the picture is so cute. How old were you here? i can hardly wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remembered all of the things you talked about in your poem. I must have been with you.
    ....You little sister. I might have even taken that picture of you on top of the rocks. I think it is a shame they shut that road down. It used to be our favorite place to go when we were driving around.

    ReplyDelete