Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

This year my grandchildren will all be
someplace else. I won't be able to run
down the street to visit, nor will they
be able to run to my house.
One of my grandmother's died when I was nine,
the one that lived in my hometown,
the one that I ran down over the hill to see,
the one that made cookies, hot bread, and jam.
She was there when I was young.
The other lived away 'up north'.
I was thirty-five when she passed away.
I always looked forward to seeing her
although she seemed sick most of the time.
When I went to the U, I helped her clean house.
She and Grandpa visited us in Boulder when
I was growing up. I like seeing her smile
and come in the door. She had long, flowing hair.
Now my grandkids come and go. I love
seeing them. They tell me about their interests,
their friends, their sports, their fun.
They visit and head for home.
I am content that is the way
things should be...I grow older and
they grow up! May their grandkids come
and add joy to their lives as they
grow old... and older.
May the circle continue
and we all love the 'other' generation.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that we are both writing about this incredible job of being a grandmother today. Lucky us!!

    ReplyDelete