Sunday, July 5, 2009

Back Home

I hiked sandstone ledges
jumped over on the Toadstool
climbed in Moqui houses.
I drove cattle through towering red cliff canyons,
cahsed a wild steer all day
before driving him out of The Gulch.
I swam and dived off the ledge at Upper Calf Creek Falls
escaped a flash flood that drove rock and logs over the ledge
and watched seven falls dropping, without us.
A truck and trailer slid backward off the Burr Trail
and rolled down nine switchbacks.
I chased wild horses in a yellow jeep near
Wild Horse Mesa in the Circle Cliffs and
looked for snakes in the Sjinikhole when
camped near Woulverine and Silver Falls.
I hiked Death Hollow Trail where my grandfather fell
holding only to Old Pat's bridle to save himself.
I swam the Colorado River at Hole-in-the-Rock,
saw the steps the Pioneers made to lower wagons by rope,
and danced at Dance Hall Rock.
I slitered and slioped through Spooky Gulch
told ghost stories by campfire
and crept back through when the moon was high.
I rode Hog's back and on to Escalante
seven school years.
I am Kanyonland King
Back Home...

3 comments:

  1. A great start in poetry. I hope all the family finds you plus some bloggers who like poems about living country. I know you have many poems, so I will be lookng forward to more poetry posts Sister Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poems. It describes so much why I want to be here and why it is so much fun to have a grandkid to share it with and hope that they will love it this much some day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is great Ann. i love how poetic you are and how you can bring your past life to fowad to make it real and share it with your children and grand children. a gathering like you had certainly lifts your spirit. Now if you can just get all your blegs consolidated so we will know where to find you-----

    ReplyDelete