Saturday, September 19, 2009

THE QUILT WALK

At the Panguitch Quilt Walk Festival 2003
this quilt of all the people killed in 9/11
was on display.
It impacted me of just how many died.
Tears fell. Tears fell.

I wrote his poem for the Panguitch Quilt Walk:

How about that famous quilt-walk
You hear about in Pang-town
Where men walked over the mountain
Quilt after quilt they lay down.

The whole town ran out of flour,
Not a drop did they have to eat.
Snow as too high and deep for a horse.
Men would have to go on feet.

Seven walked over the mountain,
All the way to Parowan.
Each step they took on a quilt
Was one more step toward town.

They brought back the flour
so the town wouldn't die,
Quilts thrown one by one
Back over the mountain..NO LIE!

Those men did save the families.
Panguitch remembers that day.
They are heroes of the past,
Honored in a special way.

But...
What about those quilt-making women?
Praise them to the sky.
For without those strong, well-made quilts
The mountain would have been too high!
-Ann King Reynolds

2 comments:

  1. Best quilt story I ever heard! Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the quilt walk was to honer anyone except the quilt makers. What a wonderful metaphor. I'll have to show your poem to my friend Kathleen who suprised me so much at dinner when she showed pictures of these lovey quilts. I said it reminded me of the Panquitch quilt walk and she said,"It is. Her husband fishes at Panquich lake." Most people I know in Phoenix know surprisingly little about Utah. It is probably my mission to educate them. Once they go they are so impressed with the beauty of the state. The poem is a great tribute. Your love of history is serving you well in your poetry blog. Yeah Ann.

    ReplyDelete