Wednesday, September 2, 2009

THOMPSON LEDGE

A painting by Linda Lu King

We climbed with bare feet
walking up the cracks
of Thompson Ledge
higher and higher.
The most dangerous spot
was creeping around the ledge
to sit in the hole
at the top.

We could view Boulder,
hear moms yelling for kids,
see who was riding down
the road from Hall's Store.
See who was at King's.

We would decide
to climb on up top
or back down
sliding over the
rounded sections
to Cedars and Pine
below.

This is my painting
to share.
You cannot have it.
Linda can't have it.
She painted for me
a childhood
memory
of fun, laughter,
and stone.
I love how she
colored it real.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this painting but I know you guys had a special infinity for Thompson's ledge and the coyote cave up high in front of it. Margie and I had our own hill over to Salt Gulch where we built slate rock 'houses' and wrote on slate with slate 'pencils.' We watched big yellow blow snakes looking for baby birds twist around in the trees. Besides, Melvin the teeenage molester was a Thompson in my time who would chase you in the fields and ask for a 'f---" so I was petrified to go anywhere near 'their' ledge. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coyote caves are on the side of Thompson Ledge. Actual coyotes lived there. This is just the Hole At The Top where no coyote could reach. (Just kids) LaRae is at the edge of my shoulder making some joke..wish I knew what it was!

    ReplyDelete