Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Grandma Wilson

Grandpa and Grandma moved. They moved to get training. They moved to Work. They moved to come 'home' to Boulder. Grandpa didn't stay long in any one place while teaching. I remember their home in Boulder. They moved to Salt Lake. In 1944,
they sold out in Boulder and moved to Bear Lake Hot Springs. We visited there and went swimming with Grandma in the warm water. They moved back to Salt Lake...and I do remember having dinner with old aunts and uncles or family, but it didn't seem like a holiday. So I can't say much about Thanksgiving with the Wilsons.
Grandma was so kind and always interested in whatever problem arose. She would sit down and talk at the kitchen table and have a 'little hot drink' (water and lemon). She was sickly and would talk about her headaches. Her hair hung for years below her waist. Mother and Aunt Vesta finally talked her into cutting it short and she was amazed that her headaches went away. Grandpa loved her long hair.
When I got engaged to Tom, she was the only one that acted pleased as punch. Of course she gave me lessons on morality (her thing), what to do, and how to behave, but I was grateful for her support. She was always glad to see us both walk in her door.
Grandma was a saver..beneath the garage was an open space where she stored all the bits of wrapping paper, hundreds of ribbons, cards, everything. I was send down to bring up 'just some colored paper and a ribbon or two.' When Grandma died, she had every card every sent her stored away. We saved some of the old homemade ones that looked like lace and roses. Oh yes, she dried many flowers and would add them to special notes. Many plants she turned into tea. I drank rose and mint teas with her. She would add honey for health purposes. Grandma was a midwife, nurse, and teacher..and she would always give advice.
I remember her, not for the holidays, but for her presence in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I do know the family took over and cooked that big dinner for the big family reunion, but she was fussing all the while. I visited these grandparents a lot during my 7 years living in Salt Lake. In high school I played chinese checkers with little Uncle Bill and Grandpa. Grandma talked health food to me in the kitchen. I remember her showing me her family circular letter which was practically a book it was so long. It went to each sibling and each added their latest news to it. I was fascinated with Grandma's life raised in polygamy and would ask her about her relatioinships with her sisters by other wives. She was quite close to two of them, one from each wife. Her mom was the third wife and therefore the poorest who had to hire out to earn money and make and sell quilts. She tried to explain to me the United Order in Orderville which was communal living. Grandma was of the temperment she could have been contented doing anything she thught the Lord asked her to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good discussion of her. We spent those two summers in Salt Lake and then the U two years. She was sick a lot, staying in bed.
    Depression?? Your last line fits her to a T.

    ReplyDelete