Monday, November 2, 2009

HIDDEN LAKE

Glade and Darlene stopped by
on their way to Kanab and
up Johnson Canyon to Cannonville
in their new Jeep Renegade.
I jumped in with them,
going on the trip I
planned for three years.
We found Hidden Lake
just north of Glendale.
Off the road, up a small hill
we were let in by the owners to
drive right to the Lake.
Hidden Lake is from, they say,
a volcano...the Indians said "No bottom",
but it has been measured since
at 87 feet deep..and fed by
three springs.
The owner put in 400 fish.
They were all dead by morning.
When a resort, in times past,
a dancehall was on its shore.
It was a first for all of us.
None of us had seen Hidden Lake.
We went to Kanab
on up Johnson Canyon
and finally over the
rough stretch to Cannonville.
Did you know that Deer Spring Ranch
is a hugh working ranch midway
between Johnson Canyon and Cannonville?
And that there is a dirt air strip
out in the middle of nowhere?
Bull Valley Gorge is still
nerve-wracking to peer into
or drive over.
Glade hit a pot hole and
shredded a tire, so we
did not make this trip
unscathed.
His jeep purchase
was a day old.
Three men from Tropic
helped change it and
get us back on the road.
We visited Bea in Cannonville
and came on home.
A great trip!
I would have been happy just
finding Hidden Lake, but
going over a new (for me) road
through the Monument
made it an unforgetable day.

ranch called Deer Spring ranch

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great adenture. You are finally old enough to go with Glade and Darlene! Look what you have to look forward to. You always did like exploring the canyons and the hills, the hollows and the cricks. I remember Barbara Coleman and I planning to take hikes to notable places one year. Otherwise I would never have seen the 9 room cave above the old Haws ranch, nor the salt and pepper shakers up above their ranch in Salt Gultch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see Hidden Lake. It is exqusite. It made me think of one time LeFair took me in his jeep to Mirroe Lake in Arizona. It was a day when there was a perfect mirror image. I don't think too many people know where it is. We had been divorced for sometime but I fell in love at Mirroe lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hill you see is actually across the highway. The lake sits by itself at the top of what looks like a mesa from the road. It is actually close to the road. At one time the woolen mill was down in a pasture by the road...run from the water rushing downhill.
    This is just north of the bridge you cross when going into Glendale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have won one of my Kreativ Blogger awards, so come to my entry and pick it up and do what it says! That's an order. Ha. http://gerry-daughters-of-the-shadow-men.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete