Thursday, March 24, 2011

Long lost Great Aunt Mary Margaret and John


My Grandpa King's sister was never mentioned that I could remember.
How do you lose a family member?...in the old days, they changed their name.
This one above was my Great-Grandma King, her daughter Mary Margaret and Mary's son Mason with great great grand girls Lois and Laveta who were Mason and Lavorda's kids.
I just love writing down all these names that only cropped up in my life
when Caroll Lester, another great-grand, wrote us for a book on the Kings.
My head is swimming with getting re-acqainted with relatives I never met.
She wasn't even dead when I was born! What is wrong with my relatives??
I know travel wasn't easy and people were very poor (by our standards)
but they seemed to leave and never look back. If left, family didn't stay
connected. There were letters in those days!
I am very interested in finding out that Mary Margaret was married in Green River (Why Green River?), lived in Vernal..her husband also invested in the old Orpheous Theater that I posted earlier. She was the first white woman to live
in Bridge (Myeton) and Dragon, Utah. She ran a cafe, a hotel...they even build and sold a hotel in Rangely, Colorado, was in Creed, Colorado when Bob Ford (killer of Jesse James) was killed, and finally became a nurse. That woman worked! She could have used some help. Her husband worked the mines, hauled Gilsonite to Dragon, and moved to Oregon where he did both mining and worked in sawmills later on. They lived a long, hard life.
I just decided today to write about this relative. I would have liked to meet her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment