Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Past


This is my dog Gomez to help
me remember Christmas Past.
He has been gone years.
As a child, very young,
I got a doll which wasn't
as fascinating as the books.
Anne of Green Gables, Tiger Roan,
Black Beauty, The Christmas Carol,
Where the Red Fern Grew, Old Yellar,
Wildfire, Toby Tyler, the books
were always there and I couldn't wait
to sit and read.
Mom liked reading too.
Dad usually found a bottle that day,
so lay around passed out.
He was a good one to sneak by
and go read.
Our animals had to be fed with or without him.
We looked for kittens in the hay.
and took the rounds in the fields
throwing hay to penned heifers.
We could run around seeing what
our friends got that day,
and eat some homemade candy or desert
at their house.
We'd gather to ice skate on our pond.
We'd sleighride down the hill
to Grandma's house for dinner sometimes
if Dad could make it.
Grandpa King would recite poetry
by the fireplace at night.
We'd ride back home in the powerwagon,
happy with another Christmas day.

1 comment:

  1. My memories of Christmas aren't quite like yours but close enough since we are sisters. I remember getting on good good book for
    Xmas. The year Margie got The Little Lame Prince I wondered if it would not be better than the one I got. I got Charlotte's Web one Xmas and was disappointed in it, why I don't know but I think my expectations were too high because of our pet pigs. I did read High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes and was immensely satisfied with it because they were sailing the oceans with a pet pig aboard who liked them to scratch him as they sailed and he grunted in satisfaction. For a long time that was my favorite novel.

    ReplyDelete