Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Family

Like the profusion of Asters,
the family grows and expands from
one generation to the next
profuse in it's beauty.
I find endless fascination in both
directions. for example Jane died at
age 31. How? Did she have a child?
Did she marry the man that married
her parents, or his son? Why is she
so completely lost? She was my Dad's
Dad's sister.
My dad's family gathered on
Grandpa's ranch. They left, stayed,
and died. What was of most value?
What do my children actually think?
What am I missing? What are their goals?
What would they love most from me?
I raised them and they left and check in
sometimes. They live such different and
separate lives, each on their own.
And now I have grandchildren and find each one
endelessly fascinating, as I will great-grands.
We hit and miss on their very busy lives.
We enjoy. We laugh. We go.
Our turn to go into a past generation
creeps upon us...and we remember the
deaths and difficulties of those
who went before us.
I feel the urge to gather, like the Asters,
and keep the family bouquet
together in a bunch.
If only they didn't have to put down
their own roots to grow.

3 comments:

  1. This is very nice poem about family. I liked it very much. The asters are a good symbol. The so in different places and different colors , but can gather close for an intact root system. They are hardy once started and grow for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the ultimate in difficult family but trying to be there for each other through thick and thin, "The Fighter." Everybody who has quarreling families should see that movie. Terrific acting. Authentic feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem. It's good to grow together and come back too. You sound like you are missing your grandkids.
    Getting ready for school Jed stopped for a few moments and ask me, "Are we being good?" They had not fought any that morning. He's a funny kid..with great logic. I told him the other day, "Stop Bellyaching." That stopped him in his tracks. I didn't understand. "That's an old country saying that you are complaining too much."

    ReplyDelete