Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sopher's first novel

I want to recommend this novel to readers everywhere.
It is the story of her wealthy Jewish family living in Tehran,
her father being wrongly arrested and his imprisonment, and the family's
eventual escape into Turkey. The world as they knew it collapsed.
Her brother was previously sent to America for safety.
Dalia was only nine/ten when all this took place
and her book is about that difficult time. She tells
about her family's actual escape at the end of the novel.
In this novel, she explored the conflicts for each family member
as they tried to stay alive, cope, and discovered their actual
relationshp with those they hired, the revolutionaries, and
others being taken to prison, tortured, and killed.
They were saved by the father's wealth. This is a remarkable
first novel. This is a remarkable novel about those who live
through upheavals in government control...
I am aware of the wars in Iran and Afganistan, the crowds of people protesting in Egypt, in Sudan, in so many countries today. I think about people
protesting because they are starving, needing to have a better
life and feel 'walled' in American easy living and too much complacentcy.
I wonder just how to care about so many in the world needing food and
medical attention. I need to know more, understand better.
I am touched by Dalia Soper's story. I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. This novel looks good, apropos for what is going on over there. I am reading Brass Verdict which is such a good courtroom drama I might send! By Michael Connelly. Bosch series. I like the cover on this one. Makes a dramatic photo! Well, I am off to the library to get some new reading material!

    ReplyDelete