Monday, February 21, 2011

Old folks gone


My mother's special friends, Twila and Veda, have died only a month apart.
They were sister friends for life and one without the other was reason
to depart. Sid is a nephew that helped them both with chores and other work.
I talked to Twila about her mom about two weeks before she died and
she talked and talked, wanting to have her mom part of Boulder Women.
Veda always remember Aunt Vesta, the one her age...and Mother and Twila
were the same age, lifelong friends. Twila 98 and Veda 96. My mother died at 89.
Grace, another same-class friend is still alive at 99.
I am missing going to the funeral of Veda in Boulder...to see her kids
that I haven't visited lately .. Farlan and Twila. Maxiene died years ago in
an auto accident. Since I can't attend, I am thinking about them today.
Fae, my neice's husband's mom also died. They must travel through the snow
to Panaca for her buriel. She was a character..and loved the ball games where
she would curse the referee at the top of her lungs. Her son and wife sat in a
different spot. I used to take my grandaughter and go visit her dogs. Grandma Fae and those dogs were the ones to see.
I am reading about my Stringham relations that I never knew. Great-Grandpa Jeremiah and his brother Briant who stayed for years at Antelope Island. Briant
used to say he would love to have an acre of ground filled up with babies. He would roll and tumble with them all day long. That image caught me...what man says
something like that? They say he loved children and was never known to say even a cross word. (never spanked) Great legacy. I would have liked to have known him.

1 comment:

  1. Guess Veda has joined her sister she mourned sooner rather than later. I hope the hereafter is not too hard on her, but it is bound to be for a while. Mother and Vesta will probably attend the funeral and be there to meet and greet. Anyway that is what I think.

    ReplyDelete