Saturday, February 26, 2011

Operations


Although small, I love the Black-Eyed Susan.
I need something bright and cheerful to
send me to my next operation
removing nodels from my thyroid,
odd nodels that shouldn't be there.
I started out this operation road
with a hysterectomy, my problems were
like my sister who died of overian cancer.
I'm not sure I actually needed one.
Doctors told me I did.
Then I had sharp pains and I was
sent to emergency to have a gall bladder
removed...only to discover the entrance to
my pancreas didn't look right. I flew to Boston.
Was diagnosed with Ductal Mucinous Ectasia
and was operated to have some pancreas removed.
It was totally diseased. Where did that come from?
How do you pick up a fatal disease?
My pancreas and spleen were removed.
I become diabetic (no pancreas) and need
insulin shots and enzymes to digest food.
Everyone I talked to told me I couldn't live
without a pancreas...I am living.
Next they found a lump and it was a lumpectomy.
Cancer and I am given both chemo and radiation
although doctors felt the cancer was contained.
Chemo freezes. Radiation burns.
I know now what diabetics live through.
I know now what cancer patients,
my sister with ovarian cancer, lived through.
Finally released as a survivor,
high calcium on final blood tests and scans
found a lump on parathyroid.
It was removed. Now there are lumps
on the thyroid. Did one contribute
to the other? I don't know,
but feel that I'm not the healthiest
person around. Maybe lumps are forming
here and there and everywhere!
But these are small. They can be removed.
I can live some more years.
I am 72. I told my family after I hit
70, I was on the gravey train.
My cousin has 28 stents.
I can live without a few lumps.
Modern Medicine comes up with
another solution. My husband's
back is bad. Will the new bone,
Kryptonite, we saw last night on TV
help him? He needs some Superman
Power. I just need a super-flower
power.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is spelled nodules, but whatever it is if the doctor says it needs to be checked, best get it checked since you are now in the hands of the doctors committed to saving your life with an operation or whatever they think will do the job. After they have had to intervene in too serious a capacity doesn't seem like there is anything you can do but trust them once again to do their thing and give you a few more years, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I kept thinking I was spelling it wrong. Your spelling even looks correct. I hope the doctors will give me some more time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. I can't imagine you without more years to enjoy the many things you do. After all you have been through lets hope this one is easy and successful.

    ReplyDelete